Director of Brewing Operations
Founded in 2020, Meanwhile Brewing Company is an award-winning, 3-vessel, 15 bbl production brewery and 1000 seat taproom in Austin, TX. We are seeking a passionate, quality-focused Director of Brewing Operations to lead our production team! As the Director, you will oversee all aspects of the production, working directly with both the brewing team and the leadership. Continually striving to grow and to improve, you will be responsible for maintaining the production of world-class, consistent beer. Utilizing data management software and working closely with other department heads, you will be responsible for developing and executing MBC’s operational strategy. Maintaining safe working conditions and practices is paramount, and we believe a culture of safety and accountability starts and ends with our leadership. That sound like something you’re into? Let’s be friends…
- Work closely with Brewmaster, Lead Brewer, QC Manager, Packaging Lead, and Brewers to develop new recipes, to continually improve existing recipes, and to develop barrel program
- Lead and manage production personnel, creating a culture of accountability and engagement
- Interview, hire, train, motivate, and develop our production team to support future organizational needs
- Work closely with leadership to develop realistic production strategies on an annual and quarterly basis
- Meet weekly with leadership team to ensure open communication between departments and to properly supply product for both taproom and sales team
- Lead day-to-day activities to ensure the production of world-class, consistent beer
- Input and utilize data in Ekos (Brewery Management Software) on a daily and weekly basis to inform production schedule decisions
- Perform wort production and cellar duties as needed, including to provide necessary coverage for production staff when there are call-outs (i.e., vacation, sick).
- Track, order, and maintain inventory of all necessary supplies and raw materials for production department
- Submit monthly & quarterly excise tax payments and required reports to TABC & TTB
- Ensure safe working conditions and practices within the brewery following all applicable laws and regulations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry peers and raw material suppliers
- Implement regular maintenance on all brewery equipment. Repair and/or replace equipment as needed
- Maintain high standard of cleanliness & order in the production facility
- Implement process SOPs to optimize production quality, efficiency, and safety. Revise and devise new SOPS as needed
- Work with leadership to plan and implement future growth and expansion.
- Perform other duties as are reasonably required in this position of leadership and management
- Excellent time management, organizational, and leadership skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work under pressure
- 5+ years in the brewing industry with a proven track record of performance and excellence
- 3+ years of management or supervisory experience
- BA/BS in related fields. A Brewing Science degree is a plus.
- This job is physical. You’ll be lifting 55-165 pound kegs, twisting/turning, reaching over your shoulders, climbing stairs, working in hot/cold/wet conditions, bending/stooping, and standing/walking.
- Proficient knowledge of Google Suite and strong computer skills.
- You must conduct yourself professionally while representing Meanwhile Brewing Co. whether in the taproom or at an event/competition. You must adhere to Meanwhile Code of Conduct